Friday, April 9, 2010

Codes

As I prepared for SVP Cincinnati's decision on a new focus area, I stumbled on NCCS (National Center for Charitable Statistics) and the  NTEE-CC codes (developed in the '80s - these codes divides the universe of non profits into 26 major groups in 10 broad categories).  It was a statistician's dream - Giving with a code :)

Codes are our attempt to take large numbers of seemingly unique items and group them into something more understandable.  The allows us sort add together, compare and contrast - analysis/paralysis.

The 2010 census is now upon us - and each of us will be "codified".  Somehow we must fit inside the codes they have provided -  "none of the above" is not an option.  Susan has started her personal revolution around the code for "Race".  Personally I like her view - but as a statistician I'm conflicted - since I'm obsessed with codes.

Her preferred code for Race ---   HUMAN.



No comments:

Post a Comment