Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Same

I have gone to the  --  SAME  -- Barber for 33 years -  Fausto Ferrari the Barber of Garfield Place.  In that 33 years we have spoken no more than 100 sentences.  Fausto a first generation Italian has a heavy accent but the picture of George Washington on the wall facing the chair shows his proud American citizenship and his business demonstrates the entrepreneurial DNA of the USA.
I enter the door - he says how are you (at least that's what I think he said).   I nod.  He says, SAME?  I say, SAME.  The rest is pure meditation.  I  close my eyes and listen to the sounds of the city.  Or during the winter, Fausto turns on the 1950's radio station and Frank Sinatra sings a tune. 
Walking in his shop is like walking into a barber shop of the 1940's. He started there July 7, 1957 and I think there is stiill a National Geographic on the magazine stand with that date.
The comfort  of  "SAME"  (I think the building has had a barbershop there for over 100 years) is a wonderful feeling.

Cincinnati Enquirer  10/24/2004  
The Barber of Garfield Place




No comments:

Post a Comment