Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Jump Right In

Today was family day skiing at Perfect North. This was Ellen's first time and reminds me of when Jenna had her first lesson while visiting Rich in Syracuse N.Y. When Jenna started "kicking up" her heels and I said I would attend the lesson with her - the Ski Instructor respectfully told me that I was not allowed. They've learned - you just have to make the kid just "jump right in" and do it alone.

So it was great that Jenna took the leadership to help Ellen get comfortable with her first instructor and lesson. Ellen was not looking too happy as Jenna and I left - but in an hour it had totally changed.

Fear is a funny emotion; That first time skiing is full of complicated and numerous stuff to fear - rental equipment, where to go, how to ..... And everyone else seems to know what they're doing - the rookie feels totally helpless. Add to that the very feeling of looking dumb falling down or running into something.

But ..... after a one hour lesson - Ellen was acting like a pro and loving it. Jump right in and see how much fun it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment