Thursday, March 10, 2011

Family Fabric

At Vistage today, M.L said "It creates a fabric of family". What is it? Personal presence, good communications, forthright actions, care-frontation (a Vistage term), kindness, love ..... the list goes on and on.

I like the image "a fabric of family" paints in my mind - the patchwork quilt bound together into one large comforter.

That phrase immediately reminded me of the quilt that my Grandmother Wisner made with patches of my Dad's old ties. First used as a childhood blanket it followed me after college into my various apartments and homes. As it became more worn, its new home was the trunk of my car - there for the safety and security (maybe for use in shock in the event of an accident). Its use varied over the years all in functional ways of being the fabric of my own family.

Warmth, Security, Comfort, - a family bound together.

No comments:

Post a Comment