Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Take Care of Yourself

Several months ago I interviewed H.B. (a previous next door neighbor at Windridge). I wanted to follow the interview questions of John Izzo in his book "Five Secrets you Must Discover before you Die". I needed someone over 80 to interview and H.B. agreed to my experiment.

So H.B. told me an important lesson he learned from Arnold Lessing - "If everyone takes care of himself, everyone is taken care of". H.B. added, "Be your own person, don't think someone else is going to take care of you".

It's not a message of selfishness - instead I think it is a message of taking responsibility and being proactive in concentrating on your circle of influence - as Covey says in his book. Interestingly, when this occurs, other people want to help you and they care about you.

Then the circle is complete - taking care of yourself doesn't have to be a lonely task.

No comments:

Post a Comment