Monday, December 14, 2009

Farmer's Values

Today I sat in on a orientation/review session for Gorman Heritage Farm.  This is a 122 acre farm in Evendale, Ohio that is 175 years old (originally the Gormans) and is now a non-profit that SVP Cincinnati selected as an "investee".  Their mission - "To give people the opportunity to explore and learn the history, methods and values of a working family farm in a natural setting". 

So what are the values of a working family farm?  Both of my grandparents were farmers and my parents grew up on a farm.  But I (and my siblings)  can only claim to be a city slicker with visits to the farm. By not living and working on a farm, did I lose those values?

Honesty is what I remember most about my grandfather -  "a man is his word".  Deals were done on a handshake.  Honor was the signature.  Duty was the responsibility.  Hard work was the delivery.  Helping others was the insurance. 

Are farming values black or white ------ red or blue? 



No comments:

Post a Comment