Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Practice an Attitude of Gratitude

It was the book "Paradox of Choice" by Barry Schwartz that caused me on December 3, 2007 to begin writing  down each day 5 things I am grateful for.  I'm now on Volume 2 and while I have missed some days here and there, for the most part it is complete. So what have I learned?

Because of my rule to avoid duplication (except for people's names or actions) the initial months were easy.  Thankful for stuff, things given to me, my background, journey, recent encounters ....  you get the drift - somewhat inward focused, material and comfort related.   After draining all the personal blessings then the list grows to family, then friends, relationships, community .....   And it gets harder - and broader and in some ways smaller and more subtle.

A sunrise, the smell of winter, a touch from someone, a word of encouragement, a joyful thought, a smile from a stranger.  Yes - it's the little things, the "take for granted" things, the "blink of an eye" events that enter the list now.

There were days I actually pondered - "will the list run out"?  But the blessings are infinite, cumulative and permanent. 

"Count your many blessings, Angels will attend; help and comfort give you to your journey's end."  Johnson Oatman (1897)



No comments:

Post a Comment