Thursday, May 27, 2010

Idolmaker

Last night Ellen and I watched the grand finale of American Idol. It has been a fun, father/daughter time together this season and fitting that we watched the finale live. Appealing to all audiences they had some superstar idols of many generations - Kiss, Bee Gees, Hall & Oates, Joe Cocker, Christina Aguliera, Bret Michaels, and Janet Jackson.
One of my favorite movies (and not well known) is "The Idolmaker" and the story of an Italian songwriter who gets consumed with making Idols from common folks. I wonder if Simon Cowell has seen that movie.
This was the only season of American Idol that I watched (yes I'm always 9 years late to the party) and it was a spectacular finale. As I watched all the productions, I couldn't help think about how iconic this program reflects the American Dream. In one summary show it shows America - the rags to riches, media crazed, star focused, with over the top delivery of everything.
I liked Simon Cowell's remarks as he exits. We were the Idolmakers, the judges. Over 500 million votes.
On the pedestal they go - until the next Idol arrives.

No comments:

Post a Comment